Static Franz Cells
PermeGear vertical glass diffusion cells are the original Franz Cells. Standard orifice diameters are 5mm, 7mm, 9mm, 11.28mm, 15mm, 20mm and 25mm, other diameters are custom. The word “orifice” as it refers to a Franz Cell is the area at the top of the receptor chamber that is exposed to the membrane or device through which transport or permeation is being studied. Corresponding volumes from 5ml to 20ml are standard and are listed under Typical Dimensions. Clamping is achieved through o-ring joints, flat ground (ground o-ring) joints and flat flange joints. We manufacture our own clamps for the most popular Franz Cell models. Our clamps are all stainless steel and are much easier to use than clamps from other suppliers.
We welcome requests for custom cells!
PermeGear’s master glassblowers have created over 1000 different types of Franz Cells, all of them to customers’ specifications. We offer 4 different joints, 10 different orifice diameters, almost any receptor volume, and amberization. We can provide jacketing and custom flow porting for both donor and receptor chambers, and many different kinds of stoppers and accessories for donor chambers. Porting of all diameters for ultrasound probes, iontophoresis electrodes, and other devices is available too. Don’t hesitate to inquire!
Ordering Information - Part numbers are generally made up of 2-character codes separated by hyphens.
- 1st code is cell type: 4G is for a jacketed cell, 6G is for an unjacketed cell
- 2nd code is joint type:
- 00 is an o-ring joint
- 01 is a flat ground (ground o-ring) joint
- 02 is a flat flange joint
- 03 is a spherical joint generally used for corneal work.
- 3rd code is glass type: 00 is for clear glass, 01 is for amberized glass
- 4th code is orifice diameter in millimeters, 05 through 25
- 5th code is receptor volume in ml, 03 through 20
- 6th code is optional and indicates:
- VD is for a volatile donor compartment with ground glass joint and Teflon stopper
- VDFT is for a flow through volatile donor compartment with ground glass joint and Teflon stopper
- VDOC is for an completely occluded volatile donor compartment
- VDOF is for flow thru volatile donor compartment without ground glass joint and Teflon stopper
- 7th code only follows the 6th VD or VDFT codes if a stoppered donor is required:
- 0725 is for a 7/25 ground glass joint with teflon stopper
- 1420 is for a 14/20 ground glass joint with teflon stopper
- FL is for a female luer joint with stopper
- #4G-01-00-09-05 describes a 9mm jacketed cell with a flat ground (ground o-ring) joint and clear glass with a 5ml receptor volume. This is the most common variety of Franz Cell made and is shown in the upper righthand drawing.
- #6G-02-00-09-05 describes a 9mm unjacketed cell with a flat flange joint and clear glass with a 5ml receptor volume which is shown in the lower righthand drawing.
- #4G-03-00-0918-10 describes a 9mm jacketed cell with a 18mm diameter spherical joint and clear glass with a 10ml receptor volume.
- #4G-01-00-11.28-08-VDFT-0725 describes a 11.28mm jacketed cell with a flat ground (ground o-ring) joint and clear glass with a 8ml receptor volume and volatile donor compartment that has flow porting and a 7/25 Teflon stopper.
- #4G-01-00-20-15-VDFT-1420 describes a 20mm jacketed cell with a flat ground (ground o-ring) joint and clear glass with a 15ml receptor volume and volatile donor compartment that has flow porting and a 14/20 Teflon stopper.
These dimensions are for standard Franz cells, the joints variety does not affect the volume. We can modify most any of these parameters within the practical limits of blown glass. Do not hesitate to inquire if your studies need something other than what is listed here. The term "cell" for sales and pricing purposes includes the two glass components, the clamp for the joint, and the stirbar.
Standard jacketed cells with clamp and stirbar
- 5mm:5ml volume (3ml minimum) - .20 square cm area
- 7mm:5ml volume (3ml minimum) - .38 square cm area
- 9mm:5ml volume (3ml minimum) - .64 square cm area
- 11.28mm:8ml volume (6ml minimum) - 1.00 square cm area
- 15mm:12ml volume (7.5ml minimum) - 1.77 square cm area
- 20mm:15ml volume (10ml minimum) - 3.14 square cm area
- 25mm:20ml volume (15ml minimum) - 4.91 square cm area
Standard unjacketed cells with clamp and stirbar
- 5mm:5ml volume (1ml minimum) - .20 square cm area
- 7mm:5ml volume (1ml minimum) - .38 square cm area
- 9mm:5ml volume (1.5ml minimum) - .64 square cm area
- 11.28mm:8ml volume (2ml minimum) - 1.00 square cm area
- 15mm:12ml volume (5ml minimum) - 1.77 square cm area
- 20mm:15ml volume (6ml minimum) - 3.14 square cm area
- 25mm:20ml volume (10ml minimum) - 4.91 square cm area
Vertical Stirrer Side View
Franz Cell & Accessories Photos
다양한 donor chamber의 예